About Guitaresque

Guitaresque is a Singapore-based non-professional classical guitar quartet. All our members are full-time working professionals but have come together because of our shared passion for guitar music.

We are alumni members of the NUS Guitar Ensemble (GENUS), the premier Niibori-styled guitar orchestra in Singapore, founded by Mr Alex Abisheganaden.

Guitaresque won the first prize and second prize (ensemble) in the 2004 and 2001 Singapore Guitar Festival Competition respectively.



Friday, May 2, 2008

Our guitars (part 1)

Alex and I both play Kohno guitars (both are Model #30).

I'd acquired my Kohno 30 many years back, and have been pretty satisfied with its sound and ease of play so far. It is a spruce top instrument, and was built in 1980. I got it from the 2nd hand guitar dealer - Michael Ho years ago (when I was still schooling) and even then, it must have been 2nd or 3rd hand ownership.
Perhaps my only complaint would be that I sometimes wish for a more mellow and 'boom-ier' voice to my guitar, rather than the crisp, clean and distinct tone produced by this instrument. That said, I personally feel it is a terrific instrument to play Bach's music! =)

Alex, on the other hand, had only recently purchased his Kohno 30 (also made in the early 80s, though I cant remember exactly which year). It was entirely by chance that an acquintance of ours - Charles (who is, by the way , an aspiring luthier himself ) informed us that he is helping someone to sell this instrument. When I heard that it was a Kohno 30, I immediately "alerted" Alex, and we went to his workshop to test-play the guitar. Within days, he decided to grab it. I dare say he's made a great decision, considering the often ridiculously high prices quoted for some brand new (but rather mediocre) instruments these days. It was a steal at the price he paid for it.

Below is some information regarding Mr Masaru Kohno (taken from his workshop website - now run by fellow luthier Masaki Sakurai): http://www.kohno-guitar.org/


Masaru Kohno

1926 Masaru Kohno was born.
1948 He started making guitars.
1960 He went to Spain and studied making guitars.
1967 He awarded the GOLD MEDAL in Elizabeth's Concourse Belgium, international competition in guitar lutherie.

Dec. 13 1998 He died of renal cancer.

No comments: